Lohman-Libby Family History

Welcome to the family history of Margaret (Maggie) Ann Jensen Olson! I've been doing a lot of research this summer, including Ron's family, and have found tons of information. NOTE: remember that posts are in chronolgical order, so you may want to read from the bottom up! Have fun, and please let me know your comments!!!

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Great-Grandpa Libby


On Steve's family tree (from 1992), Grandpa Edward Everett Libby's father was not named. His mother was listed just as Sarah E.

All I knew about them was that he was born in Maine, she in Tennessee. The family story (confirmed by Helen and Muriel this summer) was that he and his brother liked the same girl in Maine. They settled it with a bet (or a fight), and Great-Grandpa Libby lost, took off, went to Tennessee, and fell in love with a "hillbilly" girl 20 years his junior.

They eventually lived in Texas, where Grandpa Libby (Edward) was born. Edward had four sisters - Ora, Ada, May and Alice. (I remember Aunt Alice - she lived at the Presbyterian Home in Roseville on Lake Johanna and I remember visiting her when I was a kid. She died in 1963.)

But neither Helen nor Muriel knew his first name.

I made a trip to Oak Hill Cemetery a few weeks ago and found the graves of Grandpa and Grandma (Edward and Agnes) Libby, but not his parents. As it turned out, there were LOTS of relatives there - including all four of Edward's sisters. More on that later.

I kept wondering where Edward's parents were buried - it just made sense that they would also be at Oak Hill. Helen had told me that she thought we had some relatives just inside the main entrance. Sure enough, when Ron and I went back last week and spoke with the caretaker, we found them - JOSEPH T LIBBY and SARAH E LIBBY. I finally knew his first name!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home