Lohman-Libby Family History

Welcome to the family history of Margaret (Maggie) Ann Jensen Olson! I've been doing a lot of research this summer, including Ron's family, and have found tons of information. NOTE: remember that posts are in chronolgical order, so you may want to read from the bottom up! Have fun, and please let me know your comments!!!

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Alas

I have learned that we have slave owners in our ancestry. How sad, but I suppose if Grandma Libby (Sarah) was a "hillbilly girl" from Tennessee it isn't all that surprising.

Sarah Elizabeth Adcock married Joseph T Libby in 1870 in Texas.

Her parents were James Ellison Adcock and Sarah McCaleb.

Sarah's parents were John McCaleb Jr and Sarah Huchingson.

Sarah's parents were Joseph Huchingson and Mary Storey.

Joseph was born in 1768 in South Carolina and Mary was born at about the same time in Georgia. They had 10 children, the first eight of whom were born in Georgia. The last two were born in Tennessee. They later moved to Arkansas.

[The following information is from Janice, the woman whose husband is a descendant of Sarah Adcock Libby's sister Amanda.]


Joseph Huchingson's Will: Saline County, Arkansas, Will Book A-1, Page 218. The will is dated October 9, 1854 and it was filed for probate on September 18, 1855.

The last Will and testament of Joseph Huchingson of Union Township, Saline County, Arkansas.
I, Joseph Huchingson, considering the uncertainty of this mortal life, and being of sound mind and memory, blessed be God for the same,
Do make and publish this, my last Will and Testament in manner and form, that is to say
1st. I give to John McCaleb and his wife, Sarah, which is my daughter, I give and bequeath fifty dollars, provided for in bill of sale to Joseph S. Huchingson.
2nd. I give and bequeath to my son Thomas S. Huchingson and Anna, his wife, five dollars.
3rd. I give and bequeath to my daughter Mary Chennault and Steven Chennault, her husband, five dollars.
4th. I give and bequeath to my daughter Frances Chennault and John Chennault, her husband, one negro man named Benjamin of black color and a slave for life about twenty-two years old.
5th. I give and bequeath to my son John C. Huchingson and Jane Huchingson, his wife, five dollars.
6th. I give and bequeath to Nancy Chennault and William Chennault, her husband, one negro girl named Emily about thirteen years old, of dark color and a slave for life.
7th. I give and bequeath to my son Joseph S. Huchingson and Sarah, his wife, five dollars, and one half of all the livestock (viz) cattle and hogs, and one half of the household and kitchen furniture.
8th. I give and bequeath unto my daughter Ruth Mize and Lewis Mize, her husband, five dollars.
9th. I give and bequeath to the lawful heirs of Ruth Mize one negro girl named Caroline about eighteen years old of dark color and a slave for life.
10th. I give and bequeath to my daughter Elizabeth Rowan and Hugh Rowan, her husband, one negro woman named Jude, of black color and a slave for life.
11th. I give and bequeath to my son Amos S. Huchingson and Anna Huchingson, his wife, five dollars.
12th. I give and bequeath to the lawful heirs of Amos S. Huchingson two hundred dollars, as provided for in the bill of sale to Joseph S. Huchingson.
And, I hereby appoint Joseph S. Huchingson and Thomas S. Huchingson my executors to see that this my last Will and Testament is carried into effect, and furthermore, after the expenses is taken out and paid for, if there is anything left, it is to be equally divided among my lawful heirs.
Given under my hand and seal this October 9, 1854.
Joseph Huchingson

The U.S. Census slave schedules for 1850 and 1860 show Joseph (in 1850) and his sons and sons-in-law as slave owners.

I was very sad when I learned this. I never thought that there was any slavery in the family's past, but I suppose that was because I figured we descended from immigrants in the late 1800s/early 1900s or else our family was from New England - not from the South.

Wow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home